Lori N Ty

Taking single "momhood" one long day at a time....on a cattle ranch, in a town where your next door neighbor knows what you are doing before you do, all the while being so broke it's not even funny.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I raise my boy alone.I live within a mile of my parents, who have been married for 30+ years,and 3 doors down from my little sister.My family is my rock.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Golden

Last night, I took Ty on his first camping trip. Needless to say, he is thoroughly exhausted and a complete butthead today. BUT... making memories, right?

What is it about the male species and fire? Particularly campfire? My son, being the 'man' he is, was obsessed with poking at the fire, sitting on his haunches gazing into it from a mere 8 inches away and completely pissed when the smoke would get in his eyeballs. At one point, curiosity got the better of that cat and he picked up an ember. Why, I have no idea. He found out pretty quick that it was REAL hot and has a mark on his finger to show for it.


This afternoon, with the temperatures quickly gaining on 100 degrees, we decided to test our fortitude and take a dip in a pool containing water that was slightly higher than freezing. My poor dog fell in and being the big scaredy cat she is, she took off for the OTHER end of the pool, eyes abulge and feet paddling faster than I thought possible. I could have drowned, I laughed at her so hard. Of course, the only thing worse than the water was the concrete that we stepped onto after our "Polar Dip". Lovely when, after lying on it for five minutes, it's still hot enough to fry little fat sausages on. 'Sausage' referring to yours truly.

I must have yelled, threatened and cursed at him a thousand times today. He has smashed his finger, burned the back of his hand (in a separate incident involving sparks flying everywhere - his doing), hit his head a hundred and one times and the boy, he can barely walk more than six feet without falling down.

It has been a long day, but it has been a beautiful day and I wouldn't have traded it for anything.

Some days are just.... golden.

Site Meter Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.