Lori N Ty

Taking single "momhood" one long day at a time....on a cattle ranch, in a town where your next door neighbor knows what you are doing before you do, all the while being so broke it's not even funny.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I raise my boy alone.I live within a mile of my parents, who have been married for 30+ years,and 3 doors down from my little sister.My family is my rock.

Friday, October 07, 2005

53 things about and of her

I figure since the only people reading this are directly related to me, that I would do a tribute to our old mom. HAHA just kidding, Mom. You're not old... not really. I mean it's not like you are SIXTY or something! Kisses!

I read a tribute that this woman had made to her mother, on her mother's birthday. Only the mother had died and it was very bittersweet and nostalgic, but incredibly beautiful and insightful and I was struck by what a nice tribute it made. It also helped that this was just like a week ago. Yes, I'm nothing if not un-original, correct? So... in honor of your birthday, Mom, a tribute.

53 Things About Our Mom That Makes Her "Our Mom" And What Makes Us Adore Her
(Please dear god, let me think of, at the very least 50 things!!!)
(And she is trying to convince me that she is only 50 years old this year *Hysterical laughter ensues*)

1. Her honest-to-goodness, deep down belly laugh.
2. The snorting that is included with aforementioned laugh.
3. Her petiteness, how little and fragile she seems. It just makes me want to protect her.
4. Her love of all things Christmas. Starting the day OF Thanksgiving.
5. The fact that she insists on buying Christmas presents for anyone and everyone. Her generosity.
6. Her quirky, off-the-wall sense of humor.
7. The fact that even though technology scares her, she'll baby step through it until she understands, at least, partway.
8. For always making our birthday cakes so pretty and fussily decorated.
9. For always making our birthdays special, for insisting that it IS a special day.
10. For paying our bills when we can't.
11. For buying Christmas presents, Halloween costumes, birthday presents for our kids when we can't.
12. For making a big deal out of visitors.
13. For obsessing for days before visitors come so that "the house will be absolutely perfect"
14. For her excitement over decorating
15. Her excitement over REdecorating
16. Her unconditional love for "Trading Spaces" and anything involved with house redecoration
17. Also, her unconditional love for Bruce Willis
18. Her passion for "Die Hard" 1 through 14
19. For grieving when dad's dog - Jake - died
20. For grieving more for the man than the dog
21. For always trying to make him happy, a lofty aspiration for anyone
22. For growing up with nothing, only to give us kids everything
23. For her love of laughter
24. For sitting and laughing with us, until we all bawled
25. For her sound (and not so sound) advice
26. For laughing about growing old
27. For taking me in when I was pregnant, scared and alone
28. Her laughter while watching the dog and cat play, or the kids
29. For laughing at Dad when he fell in the bathtub
30. For giving so much of herself to her family that little was left for her own self
31. For loving and actually LIKING her mother-in-law
32. For looking for her older sister, Ann
33. For falling in love with her younger sister, Terry, all over again
34. For teaching us to laugh
35. For holding my hand during the C-section that brought my son into this world and being with me the second I became a mother
36. For holding my hand while I was puking my liver up
37. For terrorizing the little sister and myself while driving me to the hospital by looking over her shoulder every 30 seconds.
38. For staying the entire 4 days while I was in labor, even though it nearly killed her and teaching me the power of a mother's love
39. Her gardens
40. Her fascination with the Weather Channel
41. Her equal fascination with Fox News and Shepard Smith
42. Her BIG, old glasses that she's had for 30 of the last 53 years
43. For trying to rein us in
44. For laughing at herself and teaching us to do the same, especially when it comes to our own kids
45. For every Christmas morning of my youth, I swear she was just as excited as us kids
46. For passing on her love of books to all of us
47. For listening to my crazy dreams
48. For encouraging me to follow those crazy dreams
49. For sending me a care package when I was so sick and too poor to do anything about it when I lived with Steven.
50. For sending Dad to come get us on Christmas when we were too broke to come
51. For giving me at least this many things to write about
52. For always being there
53. For being her and all that it encompasses

I hope that you know I would be lost without you. We all would. I love you, not only as my mom, but as one of my best friends and my confidante. Happy Birthday, Mom.

Site Meter Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.