Lori N Ty

Taking single "momhood" one long day at a time....on a cattle ranch, in a town where your next door neighbor knows what you are doing before you do, all the while being so broke it's not even funny.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I raise my boy alone.I live within a mile of my parents, who have been married for 30+ years,and 3 doors down from my little sister.My family is my rock.

Monday, August 21, 2006

One hell of a guy

Life is so short and so fragile.

Yesterday, a friend of mine died in a terrible car accident. He left behind a whole community who will grieve tremendously for him. He left behind many treasured memories of a quick, hearty laugh and a huge, tender heart. He left behind a son who now has no parent (my friend was a single dad) and a woman whom he had been dating for the last month or so who had put a light into his eyes that I didn't know had been missing until I saw it there. She was in the accident with him and while she survived, she is in critical condition.

While my heart is broken and devastated at the loss of him, I can't even imagine the pain and grief that they are experiencing. Although, I've heard the doctors haven't told the woman yet; they think her condition is too unstable.

Say a little prayer for his son, Dustin and his girlfriend, Mary, would you? And hold on to your babies. Snuggle them just a bit longer. You never know what you might lose tomorrow. You never know WHO you might lose tomorrow.

He was our local cop and he was one of the good guys. This was a man that restored some of my faith in law enforcement because I knew I could call him, anytime, for anything, and he would rush to make sure all was ok; a man who restored my faith, a bit, in men, really. He'd stop in to shoot the shit every once in a while. If I saw him at the store or the post office, he always stopped me and chatted, and always, always making me laugh. He was one of those uncommon rays of light. The kind of person that would always try to make everyone laugh. Those will be almost all of my memories of him, his laugh. And the look on his face when he heard something terrible. He'd almost take it personally; his heart and compassion were just that much. He was a good cop and one hell of a guy.

Goodbye, Pepper. Thanks for the laughs and the memories. Every time someone tries to get me to drink a Kamikaze, I will pine for you (pine for you... Get it Merce? The gin...) The only reason I can laugh about anything is because I know that you would appreciate it. Hell, you would even encourage it. I will miss your familiar smiling face more than I can say.

Site Meter Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.