Lori N Ty

Taking single "momhood" one long day at a time....on a cattle ranch, in a town where your next door neighbor knows what you are doing before you do, all the while being so broke it's not even funny.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I raise my boy alone.I live within a mile of my parents, who have been married for 30+ years,and 3 doors down from my little sister.My family is my rock.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Some days I long for sunny winters

Today, I am at home. The babysitter's kids are sick, so M and myself are trading off babysitting. Me-in the morning. Her-in the afternoon. Naturally, she stays at home during naptime. I seem to remember that she got the majority of the naps before, when we didn't have a babysitter for a month. Hmmm... Sneaky girl. Of course, she could just go in the afternoon where she would only work for 3 hours or so and it's warmer. But really she has to be there in the morning because that's the busiest time and I get to sleep in:))

We got our first good snow, Monday. 3"-4". Six inches in some spots. The kids can hardly stand to stay in. This morning, it's a crisp, ohh, 26 degrees? My son is convinced that if he isn't out there RIGHT THIS MINUTE, the snow will melt and he will have missed all the fun. He is also trying to convince me that his little cousin, who has only sneakers to wear, needs to join him outside in the white wilderness that is our front lawn.

It was a thick, wet snow. I wish I had taken pictures before it started melting off. I love those heavy snows that blanket everything. At sunrise, the world looks a magical place. But now, it's all melty and dirt encrusted. Although, not as bad as the city snow is. That's just gross. Rural snow stays fairly white when compared to snow that lies about in the city. Of course, it also hides mud puddles that you sink to your knees in (just ask one of my fellow employees that nonchalantly tried to cross one). And it hangs around forever, being slushy and wet and sopping children who are foolish enough to try and make snow angels in it.

My mom and I were talking yesterday. Christmas is just six weeks away. Ack!! Where did the time go? Seems almost like we were coming down to the last of our spring, complete with snow one day and summer the next. Summer was.... 46 seconds long? And now here we are again, back into snowy weather and carrying chains in the trunk of your car. Although, if you are smart like me, you don't take the chains out, you just stack groceries around them because if you are foolish enough to take them OUT, they will disappear and, geez, why don't you just throw $60 out the window, on the freeway, cruising at 80 mph?

Some days I LONG for the sunny winters of Arizona. But the thought of their big, scary-ass bugs quickly quashes any desire for sun in December. And really, is Christmas without snow still Christmas? I know it is because we've had some without snow, but still the weather is cool and crisp and that's just part of the holiday for me. And by New Years, we've usually had some snow. 'Tis the season.

On a different note. The teenager started her stay last night. This week, she'll be here 3 nights and then after this weekend, we go to full work weeks. My son was WOUND up for 2 hours after she got here. Which means he didn't sleep until close to 10. Hopefully that wears off quickly. Could drive me insane(r).

Off to surf the net, I go. I might exercise in a while. The last time I did, I almost keeled over from oxygen requirements. This cold is trying to settle in my chest which will, in turn, give me hellacious bronchitis for the next 8 weeks. Oh joy. Later...

Site Meter Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.