Lori N Ty

Taking single "momhood" one long day at a time....on a cattle ranch, in a town where your next door neighbor knows what you are doing before you do, all the while being so broke it's not even funny.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I raise my boy alone.I live within a mile of my parents, who have been married for 30+ years,and 3 doors down from my little sister.My family is my rock.

Friday, July 13, 2007

Friday the 13th

I asked my new office boy if he was superstitious and he said 'no'. Strange, how many people are.

I've always considered 13 to be a lucky number and Friday the 13th to be a good day.

I suppose it's just the rebel in me.

Ty and I took the new truck out for a drive tonight. We drove along the river and several dirt roads. There is nothing like driving on a dirt road at dusk, the dust drifting behind. Don't get me wrong. I hate dust. It affects my allergies like none other and before I know it, while I am traversing a dirt road, I'll be mouth breathing. It isn't until I swallow that I realize how much dust my mouth has acquired.

I do love living here, in Oregon's Outback. I like the freedom and wide open spaces. I like the easiness of it all.

My older sister says that she can feel herself slowing to our 'pace' when she's been here for a day or so. In order to understand that comment, you must first understand my sister. She used to yell at me for not rinsing all of the soap residue out of the kitchen sink after I washed dishes. (I still rinse all of the soap bubbles out.) She is constantly running hither and yon. She coaches, runs a business, shuffles children, is a league director for the Elko AYSO. She always has more than a full plate. She has a heaping full serving platter (to my way of thinking, anyway). And when she comes here, it's like she is shedding that other person, the 'soccer mom' who is in a rush, rush, rush ALL of the time. She finally gets to slow down and breathe. She enjoys the scenery and the laziness of it all. Of course, if she lived here, she'd be in an institution within 2 years from the idleness of it all.

Me, I'm more laid back and easygoing. I'd rather sit at home and watch TV, clean house, bake some bread, laundry, whatever. A night on the computer with the TV in the background and the boy softly buzzing his trucks around the living room floor is a perfect Saturday night. Some call it lazy, I call it enjoying my life. I could never live the way that she does. By the time I come home from her house, I am usually ready for a vacation because my poor, old, fat body isn't used to all of that activity.

I like my laid-back, dusty, sunset gazing life.

Most of the time.

Site Meter Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.