Lori N Ty

Taking single "momhood" one long day at a time....on a cattle ranch, in a town where your next door neighbor knows what you are doing before you do, all the while being so broke it's not even funny.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I raise my boy alone.I live within a mile of my parents, who have been married for 30+ years,and 3 doors down from my little sister.My family is my rock.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A good friend.

Last night, my friend Clint called me. His car had broke down some many miles from town and he needed a ride. He hated calling me. I could tell that just by the tone of his voice. He told me that he had called the bunkhouse, hoping to get one of them up and around to come and get him, but they never answered the phone. I told him I would be right there.


Anyone who knows me knows that I dread driving at night. I just can't see and although the new glasses help, I still feel like I am going to smash into a deer at any given moment. I creep along. Slow enough to piss every one off but too fast for my own comfort.

I almost hit three deer standing in a cluster in my lane. Not only did I narrowly miss smearing the deer but I was almost ran over by some dumb ass in a huge truck carrying a fifth wheel camp trailer who didn't even slow up.

Clint was thankful and appreciative and humble. He is always so humbled by the fact that anyone would actually go out of their way to help him. He always acts like he is so undeserving of it and it breaks my heart. He kept telling me that I didn't need to come out in the dark to get him, that he would have found a ride home. He finally quit his rambling when I asked him if he would have come for me. I know that he would. I know that all I need to do is ask and he will do whatever he can to help. He just really is a good friend.

He has helped me move. He has listened to me rant and rave about various and sundry. He has made me laugh when I couldn't stop crying. He has been there for me and never asks for anything in return. He is a gem.

What is it that makes a good friend? I suppose it must be different for everybody.

For me, a good friend should reflect the truth about myself as graciously and compassionately as possible. A good friend will realize the difference between what I want and what I need and will make me recognize the difference as well. A good friend will help me when I am desperate enough to ask because a good friend would recognize that it must be desperate in order for me to ask.

I am fortunate that I have several people in my life that I consider a real friends. Some are family, some aren't blood but considered family, all the same.

To them, I say thank you, for the rides, the shoulders, the laughs, the helping hands and the advice. I hope that I have returned the favor.

Site Meter Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.