Lori N Ty

Taking single "momhood" one long day at a time....on a cattle ranch, in a town where your next door neighbor knows what you are doing before you do, all the while being so broke it's not even funny.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I raise my boy alone.I live within a mile of my parents, who have been married for 30+ years,and 3 doors down from my little sister.My family is my rock.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Wind Of Change

The teenager found my 8th grade year book and was looking at it while I was out. I just leafed through it real quick. Not wanting to really stop and look it over. I looked at all of those faces. So young and hopeful, you could just see that we were going to conquer the world, or our corner of it, anyway.

When I was in the 8th grade, my brother was a senior in high school and the jr. high/high school was together. Oh, the memories that mere book returned to me! Wind of Change - Scorpions reminds me the most of it, because that was the song they played at my brother's graduation. His girlfriend was 6-7 mos. pregnant at the time and whenever I see pictures of her around that time, I always look for the evidence. They kept it a secret from all of us until September, right before she was due to go into labor. I think my nephew was born the second week of September. My brother and I were really close that year. And he never told me. I was devastated that he could keep such a paramount secret from me. Absolutely devastated. I think that was one of the first harbringers of my distrust in men. Here, I was so naive and thinking that my hero brother could never keep anything so huge from me, and yet, he did. I remember sitting on my mom and dad's bed, weeping, with him kneeling at the floor trying to comfort and love me. Assuring me that he told NO ONE. That him and her had kept it between them. I felt so betrayed and that little girl that lives in me still does, to some extreme.

I understand now why it was to be an absolute secret from the whole world. Her parents were (are) assholes that threatened to cut her off completely and totally financially should she get pregnant her senior year. That all changed to "we'll cut you off if you marry him". Nice people. Wonderful, church going Christians

My parents keep in touch with her and my nephew. And in her Christmas card to my parents, she sent a picture of him. I was floored. I was totally blown away. The only real picture I can last remember seeing of him is when he was around Ty's age. And now, my god. The boy is almost 15 and he's big and solid and looks so much like his mother and my brother. The perfect combination. I sat there and stared at it for like 5 minutes, straight. I couldn't take my eyes off of his likeness. I couldn't believe that so much time would go by and I didn't even take notice. When did this kid grow up into this... almost man? I am still transfixed by the image burned into my brain and I think that I will write to them. I don't know if they've even seen pictures of Ty. Nor do I know that THEY know he exists. But the parallels between the 2 boys is there. The single mom and the love of all things cowboy. I hate that we aren't in touch and I am going to write a letter, tomorrow, to them. Hopefully, it will be received favorably.

Site Meter Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.