Lori N Ty

Taking single "momhood" one long day at a time....on a cattle ranch, in a town where your next door neighbor knows what you are doing before you do, all the while being so broke it's not even funny.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I raise my boy alone.I live within a mile of my parents, who have been married for 30+ years,and 3 doors down from my little sister.My family is my rock.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

end of summer

Where'd it all go?

September already.

The leaves are turning on some of the trees, the bratlets are back in school and I've seen frost once already. I've even turned on my heater, once or twice.

The fair is done, which signifies the end of summer for us. It's always on Labor Day Weekend. I spent way too much of it yawning and not drinking enough.

We started it on Friday night at our little watering hole with the tall, handsome boy, my older sister and I. Little sister was not allowed to vacate her home base without her ball and chain shackled to herself. It was a lot of fun and we laughed our asses off, but we missed the baby sister. Sometimes, I still hate that she has a boyfriend that she would rather spend time with.
We spent too much money at the fair, ate a lot of crap and didn't get enough sleep. We laughed at drunk people and a Marilyn Manson look-a-like. We saw an 18 year old get taken out of the bar part of the fair. I saw her drinking and it amazes me how blase the girl was about chugging down a beer while cops stood not 40 feet from her. We saw a Destruction Derby and little kids chortling with glee over airplane merry-go-rounds. Of course, mine was inspecting the mechanisms to make sure all was in working order and then, he'd chuckle once or twice. The little worrier that he is.

The older sister left yesterday, and like always, it feels like a piece of me leaves with her. It always takes a day or two to get my bearings so that I may resume my normal life without her and her children surrounding me with love. God, I miss them, sooo much. I hate that we live so far apart, but in a way, I'm glad. Because if we lived closer, we wouldn't cherish the time that we do spend together so much and that's an important part of it. Everything is special when she is here. I love you, big sister. Keep on hangin' on.

The boy cut his hair last evening. I guess you could say he made some 'in-roads' on it....

I handled it with the grace and poise I so often do when presented with this sort of tragedy... I laughed my ass off. It was so funny to see his little face turn towards me and notice all the missing spots of hair with his white scalp shining through. School pictures are on the eighteenth... I'm thinking of making him choke down prenatal vitamins so that his hair may grow all that much faster. If it hasn't grown in, I'll use makeup to shade it a little so that it won't be so obvious.

I must go now. I have a pounding headache and fear that I am coming down with my annual Labor Day illness. I swear, since I have moved here, I have been sick every single Labor Day weekend. I was hoping that I had avoided it, but I'm starting to think not. I'll chug some orange juice and gulp Vitamin C in hopes that I can stave off the worst of it.


Site Meter Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.