Lori N Ty

Taking single "momhood" one long day at a time....on a cattle ranch, in a town where your next door neighbor knows what you are doing before you do, all the while being so broke it's not even funny.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I raise my boy alone.I live within a mile of my parents, who have been married for 30+ years,and 3 doors down from my little sister.My family is my rock.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

portal to summer

What a nice day. Ty and I dug up grass out of the flower beds out back, gathering color on our skins. He's already tanning, the little booger.

We planted peonies and a lilac bush. We repotted a couple of house plants (the vegetarian venus fly trap among the repotted). We started some seeds in little discs of magically expanding peat with netting around it. It was the annual weekend long opening of the door to summer, getting all the flower beds ready, the first weekend of pulling weeds and cutting back grass. Envisioning all of the pretty colors adorning the outside areas.

First, we went and watched 5-10 year olds play baseball, with gathering blue-black thunder clouds in the distance and a few raindrops for good measure. On our drive home through the canyon, it had rained and smelled like the eons of our summers' past. We rolled down the windows and immersed our memories in the scent. Ahhh, summer is on the way.

I was saying to my dad just the other day that Ty's allergies weren't acting up as much as they usually do this time of the year and alas! this morning brought a runny nose and red, itchy eyes for the boy. He is fitful and complaining and uncomfortable and I don't blame him in the least. Although, he is saying that his throat hurts and he is just generally acting 'ill' so I'm wondering if he hasn't caught a cold. I guess we'll see what the 'morrow brings.

Off to read a book or two and watch my golden skinned wonder sink into sleep. He still is worrying about the house catching on fire. But I've walked him through the plan, should that happened and reassured him as much as I could. He's still wanting to sleep in my bed 'Just in case' but I'm sticking to my guns. I hope that he'll soon get over this. I hate to think of him lying in bed, worrying and waiting for the house to burn down.

Site Meter Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.