Lori N Ty

Taking single "momhood" one long day at a time....on a cattle ranch, in a town where your next door neighbor knows what you are doing before you do, all the while being so broke it's not even funny.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I raise my boy alone.I live within a mile of my parents, who have been married for 30+ years,and 3 doors down from my little sister.My family is my rock.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

making memories

I hope that you all had a nice Easter. We did. Ty received a Winnie the Pooh basket full of bubbles and assorted bubble wands, an activity book and a kite. The Easter Bunny was also thoughtful enough to gift him with a John Deere semi truck, complete with cattle trailer.

This afternoon, we went out and flew the kite. We had a blast. I had forgotten one of the best things about having a kid: They take you back to your own childhood. I haven't had that much fun in a long time and I think that I am going to go and buy one for myself. Of course living where we do, in the valley of gale force winds, there isn't very many times where the wind is just enough to fly a kite. Most of the time, it's too much and the kite swoops and dips and flips and flops. The boy chases it, like the kite is playing a game of tag with him, giggling all the while and making me snort with laughter right alongside. I had so much fun with him, working on getting that kite to fly today, I am so very much grateful to have had that precious hour with him.

Some days, it takes me by surprise. That I am a parent and fully responsible for this little guy. Most of the time, I'm coasting along on too little sleep, too much stress and not nearly enough money. Just trying to get what I can done and forgetting about taking the time to have those 'moments' with him. I forget, I'm careless and guess what? He gets robbed in the process. So I am refocusing on spending time creating memories for and with him. Because no one person knows what tomorrow will bring and I want to have had those times with him. The times where it isn't so much about trying to get him to bed or the house cleaned or what I'm going to do when I do get a few quiet moments to myself. I want him to grow up with the sound of our laughter ringing in his memory while his mind's eye carries him back to his mom running down the road, kite trailing, head back, laughter pouring forth.

Site Meter Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.