Lori N Ty

Taking single "momhood" one long day at a time....on a cattle ranch, in a town where your next door neighbor knows what you are doing before you do, all the while being so broke it's not even funny.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I raise my boy alone.I live within a mile of my parents, who have been married for 30+ years,and 3 doors down from my little sister.My family is my rock.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

an oft unappreciated job

Isn't this a horror? I am horrified that a parent would let her child get to this point.

After reading the article, I am half-horrified at the mother and more amazed at the attitude that surrounds this kid. They seem to be awfully encouraging of a condition that will surely have this kid dead by the time he is 40 years old. The general atmosphere that he lives in is one of a circus, with him being the star of the show.

And what's with the money hungry attitude? Sure, I am a single parent, but I'm not about to prostitute my child out to everyone and anyone so that I can earn some extra cash. Yes, I know... Let him who is without sin cast the first stone and so on and so forth, but really. I am truly horrified over this poor boy. Six years old. When does it stop being oh, so cute that he is 6 and weighs 209 pounds? My God.

Sunday morning breakfast (scrambled eggs w/ sauteed mushrooms and garlic, bacon and whole wheat toast) is over and I'm trolling about on the internet. Getting ready to get up and wash some more dishes and do some laundry. We have a Mexican feed to go to today at one. It didn't snow this weekend. Well, didn't snow as in, didn't fall enough to provide a visual, here in the valley. But it is awfully cold and windy. The heater is back on, windows shut. I re-opened my window a fraction because I just can't stand to not have the fresh air. But the night before, I had to shut it because the wind chill was probably 20 degrees.

Went out last night. I lasted two pool games and 3 or 4 beers, then I called someone to come and get me. No one around here is going to take a chance with the 'stater' circling like a wolf.

I am thinking of searching around and finding out if what he is doing is legal. First off, a highway patrolman isn't a city cop, so what is he doing lolling about on city streets, cruising up and down them, looking for someone to stop? Secondly, he sits within city limits, watching for someone to leave the bar and then he stops them, once within city limits(that I know of). One casualty so far. He tried for a second one but was completely out of line with his excuse for stopping the person (dead of night, he said that the man wasn't wearing his seatbelt. Except the man knew the cop was there and put his seatbelt on BEFORE he even started the truck) and had to let that one go.

I realize the dangers of driving after drinking. I do. And I applaud law enforcement for doing their job and keeping our streets and highways safe. It is a dangerous and oft greatly unappreciated job. But when we have people who are shooting each other within 50 miles north of here, isn't there a greater and more imminent danger there? Especially since we all get along and if someone is going to drive after they have been drinking, it's only when we agree that they aren't going to hop into their car and murder someone.

Around here, we've all grown up with our parents driving us home after they'd been drinking, sans seatbelts, after a night at the bar or at a BBQ. I'm not saying it's right or safe or in any way correct. It's just a fact. The new generation, more times than not, leaves the kids where they are, wears their seatbelts, and takes it slow. Not that THAT is in anyway correct or right, but we aren't out fighting and trying to gun each other down.

Like I said, I realize they have a job to do and may God bless them while they are about it. I am just saying, I would think that after a couple of weeks of not finding someone to tag here, they would refocus on the meth abuse and shooting of other smaller town up north. That's all.

Site Meter Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.