Lori N Ty

Taking single "momhood" one long day at a time....on a cattle ranch, in a town where your next door neighbor knows what you are doing before you do, all the while being so broke it's not even funny.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

I raise my boy alone.I live within a mile of my parents, who have been married for 30+ years,and 3 doors down from my little sister.My family is my rock.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

i love my life

I spoke too soon. He woke me up at 10:30 (after having been asleep for maybe 15 minutes) with a fretful, very uncomfortable sort of cry. I went to him and went to smooth his hair back, the poor kid was burning up. Temperature - 102.3 degrees at that point.

I hate fevers. It's always so surprising to reach out and encounter human flesh that is so hot. Generally, when you reach out and feel skin, it's warm to the touch or if certain people are sleeping when you touch them, it's very warm, bordering hot. But when I reach out and get that hot, dry skin, it always startles me. No matter what the temperature actually is, my mind just registers the hot skin and thinks "Damn! He's burning up!".

Poor little dude. He moved to my bed and I let the fever do it's natural work for about an hour, and when it started registering 102.8-.9, I gave him meds. Cooled it down to about 100, but it eventually started climbing again. Mama kept watch, drifting in and out of half sleep all night to retest the temperature. It spiked again at 102.4 or so, and stayed there, dipping slightly and at 5:30 a.m. it broke. Long night.

Then, yesterday, I had to suffer through the "you are SUCH a mean mom for not letting me go to work, nana and papa's, daycare, preschool, C's (alternate babysitter)!" Fill in the blank. Oh the horrors of being kept in the house on such a beautiful day. He was fully indignant and outraged at the tragedy of it all. Really, he was a god-awful brat and I had to keep reminding myself that he was sick and out of sorts. Because, really, who likes to beat their kids when they can't run from you? Where is the sport in that?

I read the most heart rending book yesterday. Oh my god. I bawled through the last 8 or so pages of it. It's especially tragic if you have a sister (or in my case sisterS) that you are close to. If you feel a need to cry, get it. If you don't want to question your relationship with close family and your ability to be a good sister, don't read it. My goodness, I'm still reeling from it.
Generally, I can read a book and just go on about my life, without any real repercussions. This one kept me awake last night and hung out in my dreams. And this morning, I'm still thinking "owww". It was awfully sad.

Off to the showers, the day awaits. After the shower, I will try to get a cranky child out of bed by laughing and joking with him. One of us will, inevitably, get mad and I will probably end up getting kicked in the eye, at least once. I love my life.

Site Meter Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.